Anna maria island
Let our sun-bleached beaches and balmy breezes welcome you to our tropical paradise Relax, renew and enjoy our Island.
Anna Maria Island Turtle Watch
Anna Maria Island Community Center
Anna Maria Island Community Chorus & Orchestra
Mote Marine Laboratory
The Cortez Village Historical Society
Anna Maria Island Privateers
Anna Maria Chamber of Commerce
Manatee Chamber of Commerce
Anna Maria Island Historical Society
Tingly Memorial Library
Anna Maria Butterfly Park
Sarasota Bay Watch
Episcopal Church of the Annunciation - 778-1638
Gloria Dei Lutheran Church - 778-1813
Harvey Memorial Church - 779-1912
Crosspointe Fellowship - 778-0719
Roser Memorial Community Church - 778-0414
St. Bernard Catholic Church - 778-4769
Local Government Links
City of Anna Maria
City of Holmes Beach
City of Bradenton Beach
City of Bradenton
Town of Longboat Key
Manatee County Government
Manatee County Clerk of Courts
Manatee County Supervisor of Elections
Manatee County Tax Collector
Manatee County Property Appraiser
Manatee County Rural Health Services, Inc.
Bradenton Housing Authority
Anna Maria Elementary
Manatee County School Board
Public School Registration Requirements
Manatee County Public Schools
Manatee County Private Schools
Colleges and Universities
Blake Medical Center -
2020 59th Street West
Lakewood Ranch Medical Center - 8330 Lakewood Ranch Boulevard
Manatee Memorial Hospital - 206 Second Street East
Manatee Glens - 391 6th Avenue West
Sarasota Memorial - 1700 South Tamiami Trail
The recorded history of the Island is said to have begun in 1530 when Spanish explorers (including Hernando DeSoto) claimed the area for the Spanish Crown.
In 1892 George Emerson Bean became the first permanent resident on the Island and homesteaded much of what is now the City of Anna Maria. In the early 1900s, Bean began to develop the Island with the Anna Maria Company which laid out streets, built sidewalks, houses and installed a water system.
During this time, the first house of worship, Roser Memorial Community Church, was built by George Roser in memory of his mother. Roser was the creator of the Fig Newton which he eventually sold to Nabisco Brands. Roser Memorial Community Church still stands and attends to the spiritual needs of Islanders.
Typical of the early buildings is the present Island Playhouse which was built on the mainland. It was transported to the Island by barge and has served the community during its long life a church, school, social and City hall.
The Magnolia Avenue School was built in the early 1900s and has been replaced with the Anna Maria Island Elementary School which is located in the City of Holmes Beach. The present school draws students from north Longboat Key and Anna Maria Island.
For years the only way to the Island was by boat. It was not until 1922 that Anna Maria was physically connected to the mainland by a wooden bridge that extended westward from the fishing village of Cortez to the Island. The Bradenton Beach fishing pier is at the western end of that original bridge.
Throughout the developmental period of the Island, local city governments have worked diligently to preserve its "Old Florida" heritage. Their work remains a cornerstone of each citys current government.
The Island remains a mixture of residential single-family homes, condominium developments and businesses all existing in harmony. Residents and seasonal guests come from throughout the Americas as well as Europe and the Far East.