Winners bloom at Penny Flower Show
Pat Copeland |sun
An entry in the “Little Red Riding Hood” category.
ANNA MARIA – Flower lovers flocked to Roser Church to vote in the Anna Maria Garden Club’s annual Penny Flower Show on Wednesday, March 20.
The show’s theme was “Once Upon a Time,” and people vote for their favorite arrangements using pennies. The winners were:
• “Sleeping Beauty,” horizontal design: Becky Robinson, first; Susan Fernald, second; Ginger Huhn, third;
• ‘The Old Woman in a Shoe,” design in a shoe: Clare Faner, first; Priscilla Seewald, second; Lav Fuller, third;
• “Little Red Riding Hood,” design in a basket using red flowers; Clare Faner, first; Ginger Huhn, second; Peggy Sawe, third;
• The Wizard of Oz,” a creative design: Clare Faner, first; Barb Callaghan, second; Peggy Sawe, third;
• “Jack and the Beanstalk,” a vertical design: Cynthia Foster, first; Mary Manion, second; Marilyn Shirley, third;
• “Tom Thumb,” miniature design: Maureen McCormick, first; Anne Ricci, second and third;
• Horticulture, entries grown by the exhibitor and in their possession three months prior to the show: Maureen McCormick, first; Priscilla Seewald, second and third.
In addition, Ginger Huhn, the show’s chair, demonstrated making hypertufa pots, in which various materials such as pearlite, peat moss and Portland cement are mixed with other ingredients and pressed in a mold to make a pot, which can be used as a planter, a bird feeder or as a decorative item.